Sunday 30 September 2012

♥ SFYS: Foundation Review: Revlon PhotoReady vs. Estee Lauder Double Wear ♥

Hellooo! So if you may have seen my YouTube review of these foundations. I like to do informative, in-depth reviews therefore that video was quite long so I promised that I'd do a brief review on here as well. If you want to see the more comprehensive (right word?) video review then click just here!


The two foundations I've been wearing the last few months are Estee Lauder's Double Wear and Revlon PhotoReady so I decided to do a SFYS (See For Yourself) review where I show you the product in action so that you can decide for yourself if you'd like to buy it. I've rated each foundation on the different aspects below and at the end of the post there are comparison photos so you can draw your own conclusions. If you really are in a hurry scroll to the last paragraph for my conclusions!

My Thoughts on Estee Lauder Double Wear...

Application: 3/5 - The formulation is very thick in consistency and dries quickly you end up having to use quite a bit as it doesn't spread/blend out easily.

Coverage: 5/5 - This is very full coverage in my opinion

Appearance: 4/5 - The compromise of such great coverage means that this foundation doesn't look as natural as one might wish. I also found my particular shade '6.0' to be on the grey side making my skin look rather dull. The finish is matte but not powdery looking.

Wear: 5/5 - After 12 hours this still looked like I had just applied it. Once it's dry it isn't going anywhere. 

Price: 3/5 - Approx £27.50 - Quite pricey but it lasted all day so I guess you get what you pay for and there are more expensive foundations out there...

Availability: 3/5 - Sold at most department stores and online.

Range: 2/5 - For saying that this was is a higher end brand the shade range (6 shades I believe) isn't great.





 Estee Lauder Double Wear after approx 12 hours of wear
 (Excuse the heavy makeup,  I'd been filming YouTube beauty videos this day! 
Note: Although the blush is bright bear in mind that it is doesn't actually conceal any blemishes so the coverage is still comparable to the photo above.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Thoughts on the Revlon PhotoReady...

Application: 5/5 - Very smooth and silky, went on like a dream when applied with fingers and practically melted into my skin without any tell-tale lines.

Coverage: 3/5 - Light-medium coverage depending on how heavy handed you are when applying it. Layering it won't work as it moves on the face so if you're looking to get the most coverage I recommend using two pumps.

Appearance: 4/5 - Super skin-like and realistic looking but a little on the orange side when applied more heavily

Wear: 2/5 - This faded significantly on me by lunchtime and completely by the end of the day. It doesn't seem to actually dry properly which I think is what gives it the natural skin like finish. I definitely recommend a powder to 'set' this foundation and even then it didn't last that long on me. I wouldn't bank on more that 4 hours wear with this one.

Price: 4/5 - Approx £9.99 - A very good price in my opinion but not the cheapest out there

Availability: 5/5 - Sold at most drugstores

Range: 2/5 Limited as always with drugstore foundations...


 Revlon PhotoReady after approx 12 hrs of wear


Revlon PhotoReady when first applied.

Final Thoughts: I think that Estee Lauder Double Wear is is a great foundation for special occasions when you want flawless coverage however for every day I think that it's too fake looking. Imho while the full coverage is great for a big night out, the added time/effort of adding highlighters and bronzer to get a natural skin look makes it too high maintenance for every day wear. Especially as if you're anything like me you're looking for something to throw on in the mornings in the five minutes you've allotted yourself to get ready.

As for Revlon PhotoReady I think that the finish on this foundation is beautiful (see picture above). It's glowy without being shimmery, very skin like and virtually undetectable. This is a light coverage foundation in my opinion so it doesn't cover every single blemish. I have an oily T-zone and found that the wear of this was very short, even on my cheeks which aren't generally oily so I recommend this more for short engagements when you want to look natural coverage e.g. a lunch with friends or a family engagement.

No comments:

Post a Comment